8.08.2010

Bread, Bread, Bread




Tonight I decided to try something different when I was making french bread.

When you're making french bread, you get to a point in the process where you roll out the dough on the table into a flat rectangle. Then you roll it up, taper the ends and lay it seam side down on a baking pan.

I decided to experiment.

COLORS
After I rolled out the dough, I finger painted on the flat surface with neon food coloring.  After I rolled it up, I also put a drop of food coloring into the slits you put on the top of the bread.  I then brushed it with silken tofu (because I do not use egg whites) and in the process created a streaky finish on the outside of the bread.  That loaf was for the kids, but I think it's pretty cool myself.

CINNAMON, VANILLA, BROWN SUGAR
Moving on, I decided to spread a thin layer of vanilla extract across the dough.  I then sprinkled cinnamon and brown sugar before rolling it up.

BASIL
I also made a loaf using basil (fresh, picked it from the plant myself). I cut the basil julienne style and sprinkled it across the dough before rolling it up.w



They all turned out really, really good.  My favorite is the basil.  It's highly addictive and I'm pretty sure I'll be making it very frequently. I will continue to post new experiments with bread as I bake!


Don't be intimidated by the process of making bread!
My 8 year old son has made several loaves, and he loves it.
You can totally do it!

My son making bread with my Mom (a.k.a. Grandma), and my niece.

No comments:

Post a Comment